Some Plex fans have found their way to download and install Plex on their own Apple TV 2 and Apple TV 3. The whole procedure was covered on a blog linking to the main source Gigaom. However we dig the whole matter deep and came up with our own version of a tutorial.
Plex Connect is quite an interesting hack which helps in using the Apple movie trailers app as a trojan horse to make a way for uploading the Plex to the Apple TV. In their Install guide officially posted on the PlexConnect website the procedure clearly indicates the above mentioned way, to make sure that the PlexConnect machine must have the same IP address.
But as the most imprtant tool before the installation guide is that you must change the DNS configuring option to Manual. The option will be available in setting menu of your Apple TV 3.The local IP Address of the device running PlexConnect app on must be filled in the DNS configuration menu, you can later click on Done to ensure that both the IP addresses remain the same. Keep in mind that you have the latest firmware 5.2, if you are using the older versions then let the IP address of the router and subnet mask remain unchanged.
Meanwhile if you are using Windows PC you must have Python. Or you can download one from here Python 2.7.x For Windows. You must take down your Windows firewall, for PlexConnect to work properly.
How To Install Plex on Apple TV:
- First of all you need the PlexConnect app for Windows or Mac which you can download here. (Windows / Mac ).
- Unzip the file you just downloaded.
- Edit the “Setting.py” file with any text editor, for windows you can use Notepad.
- Replace the default DNS server i.e “126.96.36.199” with your DNS server. The one you noted from Apple TV earlier.
- After changing the DNS save the file.
- Windows users: double click on PlexConnect.py to start it and navigate to the the Movie trailer app on your Apple TV to find the PlexConnect interface.
- Mac Users: Open terminal and change its directory to that of the PlexConnect folder (by typing “cd”, without the quotes and then dragging the folder to the terminal window and hitting return.)
- Now type the term sudo./PlexConnect.py and press return.
- Now in the next window enter your password for Mac and press return.
- Follow the #6 process and enjoy !
Hope this tutorial helped you in installing the Plex on your Apple TV. For further questions you can choose the comment option below, or Stay tuned and follow us on Twitter, Facebook or Google + to know the latest tips and tricks plus the news from tech world.